XMA and Viglen became part of the same group in January 2014, and the two businesses have combined over time to become one larger reseller and a new ‘super OEM’ (Original Equipment Manufacturer). This offers their joint customers an even stronger proposition and wider framework access. As of April 2015 the new merged company became XMA.
We have worked closely with the Viglen brand since 2010, predominantly within the education sector on digital marketing campaigns, offline media and exhibition collateral. Since 2013 we have also been responsible for the visual graphics for the XMA stand at BETT (formerly British Educational Training and Technology Show). In 2015 we were delighted to be approached for the third successive year to deliver the graphics for this key event in the XMA calendar.
The Master Plan
XMA wanted an eye-catching exhibition space for BETT 2015 to celebrate the merger of XMA and Viglen. The brief was to demonstrate visually the coming together of innovation, creativity and capacity to deliver world–class IT solutions to the UK’s leading education organisations.
In a large exhibition environment such as BETT, XMA needed to stand out from the crowd. We had to design a stand worthy of a major player in the education tech arena as well as complementing the comprehensive product range. We also needed to incorporate areas for corporate presentations and demonstrations in allLearn programme pods, which demonstrated the company’s success at delivering complex IT services nationwide.
We were asked to produce graphics to represent the union of the two businesses. Key requirements included:
- understanding the colours, identities and brand guidelines of XMA and Viglen
- offering a visual representation of the merger of XMA and Viglen
- the introduction of partner logos into the overall stand design.
Most importantly, our brief was to make sure the XMA stand stood head and shoulders above every one of the other 546 exhibitors.
Hitting the Mark
In an increasingly crowded business space, and more specifically in an environment with a captive audience of interested parties, it is imperative that brands – especially brands new to the market â€“ are visually striking and attractive to prospective clients.
Our design team:
- used a combination of each corporate identity to create gradients in the graphic visuals as a way of representing the merger
- used the gradients to define and enhance specific areas of the stand
- ensured branding compliance with partner logos on the designated space
- used a stylised Union Jack flag to further validate the merger of two highly-respected British businesses
- designed a combination of dots representing the merger of XMA and Viglen and incorporated them within the flag to help convey both names to exhibition attendees.
XMA were delighted with the exhibition stand. During the four-day exhibition, the stand was shortlisted for ‘Best Stand in Show’.
As a direct result of exhibiting year-on-year, the pipeline of opportunities for the company has been impressive, with follow-ups by the sales teams generating actual sales.
Most significantly, the graphic design elements created an industry-wide awareness of the merger, demonstrating that the public sector will be best served by combining two businesses into a new company that delivers world-class service and four decades of sector-specific experience.
"Throughout the project, Studio Montage fully embraced the challenges we set them, providing a visually outstanding exhibition stand design that delivered the core solution: representing the coming together of two British businesses under one banner."
Our Secret Weapons:
This project combined a variety of our agency skills, including:
- Concept creation
- Stand design and management
- Video design and production
- 3D Printing